A select list of websites and organisations involved in justice and peace and related issues.
- Justice and Peace Scotland – the National Commission for Justice and Peace advises the Scottish Bishops’ Conference of the Catholic Church in matters relating to social justice, international peace and human rights, and promotes action in these areas.
- Vatican – the main site, subdivided into various theme, including the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace
- Bishops Conference Scotland – the permanently constituted assembly of the Roman Catholic Bishops of Scotland
- Action of Churches Together in Scotland (ACTS) -formed in 1990, as Scotland’s national ecumenical instrument, ACTS brings together nine denominations in Scotland in a variety of activities
- West of Scotland Development Education Centre (WOSDEC) – works with teachers and others responsible for education to promote global citizenship, encouraging young people to be confident and effective contributors to a more just and equitable world
Catholic Social Teaching
- Office for Social Justice St Paul & Minneapolis – excellent website on Catholic Social Teaching.
- The Busy Christians’ Guide to Catholic Social Teaching – from the US Catholic Bishops
- Social Thought Resources – wide ranging site, providing extensive links and information, arranged thematically
- Theology Library – the Justice portal of this library provides a comprehensive listing of information and resources around a range of themes within the broad category of justice, including a section on Catholic Social Teaching
- Labour Behind the Label – supports garment workers’ efforts worldwide to defend their rights
- Buy Nothing Day – highlights the environmental and ethical consequences of consumerism
- Fairtrade Foundation – website of the independent non-profit organisation that licenses the use of the Fairtrade Mark on products in the UK, in accordance with internationally agreed Fairtrade standards
- Trade Justice Movement – coalition of organisations campaigning for fundamental change to the unjust rules and institutions governing international trade.
- Pax Christi – international Christian peacemaking movement
- Church Action on Poverty – works with churches to make poverty a priority
- Poverty Alliance – membership organisation addressing issues related to poverty and social exclusion
- Scottish Churches Housing Action – brings together the main Churches in working to eliminate homelessness in Scotland.
Aid & Development
- Scottish Catholic International Aid Fund (SCIAF) – the official aid and international development charity of the C
- Catholic Church in ScotlandCatholic Fund for Overseas Development (CAFOD) – the aid charity for the Catholic church in England & Wales. Excellent resources pages, including resources for worship and schools
- Caritas – worldwide network of Catholic agencies dedicated to reducing poverty and injustice throughout the world.
- Oxfam – a leading aid and development charity. Excellent resources and publications
- Jubilee Scotland – coalition of concerned individuals and organisations who work together in Scotland for the cancellation of all unpayable and illegitimate poor-country debt.
- Global Justice Now – formerly World Development Movement – UK-based anti-poverty campaigning organisation.
- Catholic Earth Care Australia – ecological agency established by the Australian Catholic Bishops’s Conference.
- Operation Noah – Christian organisation concerned with climate change endangering all of God’s creation
- Eco-Congregation Scotland – an ecumenical programme to help congregations understand environmental issues and make appropriate practical and spiritual responses.